After making this simple, healthy, tea-infused oatmeal, I will never not infuse my morning oatmeal with tea again!
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
For the oatmeal:
1/2 cup steel cut oats* (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 1/2 cups milk of choice (I used coconut milk)
1 cup water
2 Elder & Cream Black Tea pyramid bags
Pinch of salt
- Bring milk, water, salt and the contents of 2 pyramid tea bags to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Lower heat and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Strain tea leaves and return the liquid mixture back onto the stove. Add in oats.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Cover* and cook, stirring every couple of minutes for about 20 minutes, or until desired consistency has been reached (I like my oatmeal slightly al dente).
For the blueberry sauce:
1 cup blueberries
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
- Combine blueberries, water (1/4 cup), granulated sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil while stirring frequently. Lower heat and let simmer.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Add the cornstarch to the blueberry mixture. Stir, but do not burst blueberries. Cook until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Top oatmeal with blueberry sauce and enjoy!
- If using other types of oats such as rolled oats, simply boil tea leaves with the given amount of liquid in your normal preparation. Cooking time will defer based on the type of oat used.
- If you prefer to cook without a lid on, do note that you may need to add more liquid towards the end of the cooking time to loosen the oatmeal.